Friday, April 8, 2011

Math Fun!

The kids enjoy math and I'm so glad!

K has begun learning about fractions in wholes/halves/quarters. We used playdoh to demonstrate halves/quarters on Wednesday...D is continuing to learn his 3's facts - both multiplication and division. He was in tears Wednesday and I realized it was because a lot of math has come "easy" to him. But with the multiplication/division he has to think a lot more - he's capable & can do them, it just requires more work.

He used index cards to be "trucks" and unifix cubes to be "boxes" so he figured out his problems by loading "trucks" with "boxes" on Wednesday. Example: 4 trucks holding 3 boxes each can move 12 boxes. We've gone round & round about where to do our school this year. We began downstairs in the school area, then moved upstairs, then moved back downstairs and now we're back upstairs. Are you dizzy yet?!

I realized D works better in the natural light, has a much better attitude and is less distracted by his sisters. He actually ASKS to do school in the dining room...he cheers about it! Looking ahead to next year when his work load gets a little heavier and the girls will have more play time in the playroom together, I think schooling in the dining room will work best.

For now our HOD and minimal school supplies are in the cube shelves...I have a happy boy!

Eventually we'll move the art supplies and other manipulatives we use for school upstairs in the dining room once I find/buy/build cabinets so everything will be hidden ~ just my personal preference for the dining room. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment